And then after a closer inspection I realized the frame of the bike I found was compromised so I had to canablize all the parts and find a new home for them.
Then I got started on it and made some progress but for a long time it sat like this.
This past weekend I finally got off my duff and decided to finish this project. Along the way it got a spiffy new seat (it even has an R logo on it although its not Raleigh) and I used the wheel-set off the Schwinn Mixte I built for my sister in-law since I had upgraded her ride to new alloy wheels. The frame has been spec'd for a cottered crank which I swapped out for the more modern one from the curbside find.
It also got a sweet vintage Nitto "Olympiade" handlebar I scored off craigslist a while back.
Hugh's blog, its still a 40 year old frame with its share of nicks and scrapes but the paint does look pretty darn good after the 3 coats of wax. And somewhere in my
$5 ride came through with a RD I could cannibalize for a new screw that wasn't a whole lot better but at least it was adjustable so I could dial in the shifting. I sometime lament the amount of space my project bikes and parts take up in the apartment but boy having a "bone yard" sure does come in handy! Tim Joe suggested a post on my "stable" of bikes but the bone yard might be a more appropriate post...we'll see..
All it needed was some Yellow bar tape from Bike Nashbar and it was ready for a late night posting to Craigslist to await some tallish rider in need of a solid vintage ride. With all the "non factory" parts on this bike it could have been called Franken-Raleigh but I kind of like the sound of Mello Yellow.