Saturday, December 22, 2012

Phat Tires on Gravel

After taking the Handsome Devil for a test ride with the new Phat Rubber - Continental Town and Country 700x47c's- the next test was to see how they would do on gravel.  Actually I was sure they would do fine I just wanted to ride them on gravel.

I am fortunate to live near Lincoln park which has great views of Puget Sound and environs and nice network of gravel paths.  So off to the park I rolled with my new Phat tired steed.
I will take my sunlight dappled thank you very much
Based on today's forecast I was only expecting a lack of rain, if I was lucky, however I got a nice little early Christmas present in the form of sun breaks and patches of blue skies.  In Seattle in December that is a little slice of heaven.
Puget sound near the Fauntleroy Ferry terminal
I doubled my mileage from yesterday, which considering I only went 4 miles Friday, wasn't too hard.  I knew my 1x9 set up combined with my distinct lack of shape was no match for some of West Seattle's hills but I was fine walking.  It was just nice to be out breathing the rain washed fresh air and getting some sun.  And I even got a nice view as a reward for huffing and puffing up the hills.
looking west toward the Olympic Peninsula

I'm not sure why but it seems every few years I go for a period of not riding for months on end and then when I get back on the bike I remember why I love it so much.  Rediscovering the joy of spinning along on two wheels taking in the sights, sounds and smells at the speed of life and unencumbered by a steel cage.  At that point I wonder why I have been such a dolt as to be off the bike for so long!

I have a number of bike projects in the queue that I intend to document on this blog, and quite a few that I completed this year, and last, that I plan to write up retroactively.  For anyone reading this I hope you have happy holidays and get a chance to unwind as 2012 comes to a close.

Ride.Smile.Repeat.

1 comment:

  1. The cool thing about writing a Blog about riding bicycles is it forces you to get out and ride so you have something to write about.

    I really like the way this is shaping up, Ryan! I look forward to seeing the work you have done on old steel past and present and future.

    tj

    ReplyDelete