Thursday, September 27, 2018

Chasing Daylight


I have been having a hard time letting go of summer (yeah equinox smequinox) and in the PNW we are usually blessed with Indian summers that can stretch into October.  Also having finished the Cresta GT I want to ride it, and I have a goal of 100km on the new build before the end of October.



My ride Tuesday took me through Lincoln park and up Admiral, I made it all the way up without stopping but I was going at a glacial 3 mph, I think an ant passed me.  Oh well, ya gotta start somewhere.


A bit over 9 miles, not bad for an after work ride in late September which puts me over 20 miles on the bike so far and a 1/3rd of the way to 100km.


I took a different route tonight with another great weather evening and some great views of the city.


To aid in my pursuit of later summer daylight I ordered some USB rechargeable lights from Amazon.   In addition to having a way to light the path home if I stay out too late they are also helpful in making me visible.   With the rubber strap they are easy to get on and off the bike too.


Tonight I went up Avalon which is the most steady climb in my area, I was still slow but it felt a little easier than Tuesday, perhaps because I knew I had already conquered a more difficult hill and it certainly helps that the Cresta has such low-end gearing.


With the ride this evening I am halfway to my goal so perhaps I need to shoot for 200 km?


I still have some ideas about taking the bike to work and riding close to work after quitting time to make better use of the available daylight, and I hope to get in at least one multi-modal commute that includes my bike and a bridge I still haven't ridden across since they upgraded it with a great commuter path cantilevered off the side of the revamped 520 bridge.

Ride.Smile. Chase the Sun. Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment