Saturday, July 27, 2019

Allez Refurb - Frame done


I have been puttering along on the Allez frame and this morning I got the headset cleaned up via the sonic cleaner.  My goal for the weekend was to reunite the frame and fork so I could clean components and hang them back on the bike.  In the last few weeks I have frame saved the tubes, and dealt with rust.

before


After
I also did some detailed cleaning of the frame so I could wax it.  I really love the look of lugs but they also give lots of nooks an crannies for dirt and grime to collect.




I thought I had found a decent match for the paint at True Value or at least close.


Turns out not as close as I thought, one of these days I will have to get a collecting of Testors colors and try my hand at mixing up paint to more closely match a frame.  In this case the point was really to cover up bare medal before applying the wax but a closer match would have been nice, oh well, metal protected.




I would never put a Free Wheel in the sonic cleaner because it has bearings and grease, but a Cassette is jut a collection of gears, the bearings and grease being in the cassette hub on the wheel, so it can go right in the Sonic bath.


After sonic bath

After Dremel and brass wire brush
The sonic bath got the headset mostly clean and then I finished off the top cup with a brass wire brush to clean it up a bit more.


The newly cleaned bearings were ready for fresh grease (its mostly on the underside) and to be installed on the cone races.


An step 1 of bearing rebuild is done with the frame and fork reunited.



Since I had purchased a brand new Shimano BB, step 2 was pretty straight forward, grease the threads and install the bottom bracket.


Now I have a lot of components to clean up and hang off the frame before I tackle the hubs.

Ride. Smile. Repeat.

5 comments:

  1. What A Beauty - Free That Mind & The Bike Will Follow - Travel On Brother Man

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Padre I think it will look pretty nice when I am done which I hope will be in the next few weeks.....

      Delete
  2. G'day Ryan from Oz - I really enjoy your blog; many thanks for all your effort. I like the way you tackle the little challenges life throws up. Always helps me keep things in perspective. Of course the bike restorations/journey are way fun/cool.
    I wanted to ask about your sonic cleaner. I've had no experience with them and keen to know a little more. I still use the good old petrol/diesel but think it might be better for me, the planet and my wallet if I looked at an alternative.
    Any advice gratefully received
    Kind regards
    J
    Ps - if you ever get down under, Madocke micro brewery out of the Gold Coast make a mean Belgian Quadrupel ��. And it's an easy pedal from my place ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very Cool to hear from Oz Hewy, thanks for following. I got my Sonic cleaner on Amazon for about 40 bucks, my tip is to add a couple squirts of degreaser or soap to the water reservoir and then I usually run the clean cycle, hot, 3x on the longest setting (480 seconds). In most cases the grime wipes right off after that. And be careful to lube the pivot points on components like brakes and derailleurs after they dry off. Cheers to having a brewpub within easy pedaling distance :-)

      My folks took a trip to Australia and NZ back in the late 80s and loved it, maybe someday...My Seattle Mariners had and an Aussie Pitcher, Ryan Roland-Smith back in the 2000s

      Delete
  3. Many thanks RR - you sound like an honorary Aussie already πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ»

    Ride, drink, repeat 😎

    ReplyDelete