Sunday, August 18, 2019

Rock Hopper Redux


I wasn't feeling like an extended session with Naval Jelly on the Trek 420 today so I decided to do something with the Rock Hopper.


After numerous efforts I have given up on fixing the trigger shifters, which is a shame based on the videos I watched it seemed so straight forward but I think there was something else besides a sticky pawl going on.  That decision made I put the bike in the work stand.


Since I was going to get it working to sell I put the original stock saddle back on.  No need to have a more comfortable saddle if I am not going to be riding the bike.



This box has been taking up room in a my entry hall for a while so it was nice to get it open and get the Schwable tires out.




They do look sharp, I found the directional mark and got them mounted up to the rims.


With saddle and tires taken care of it was on to the troublesome shifter situation.



I removed the non working shifter pod leaving behind the perfectly functioning brake lever, sacked up the shifter so I can include with the bike and then cut a rubber strip from an old tube so when I mount the stamped steel clamp of the friction shifter it won't scrape up the handlebar.




I got the friction shifter mounted and cabled with a minimum of fuss, I used the existing housing to save time.  I had to adjust the low limit screw a touch to get the chain to go into the big cog in back and then it was time to cut and cap the cable.




Hopefully I can do slightly better than break even on this bike, the plan is to do some test riding and then list on CL.


After that blitz to get the Rock Hopper ready for sale I decided it was time to kick back on the balcony with an IPA and some snacks.

Ride. Make it functional. Smile. Repeat.

3 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at how new rubber spiffs up a bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie I agree and I thought it would make the CL posting pop a bit with the new tires.

      Delete