Sunday, September 15, 2019

Trek 420 Refurb: Assembly I (rack, saddle & seat post, derailleurs and shifters,bb)


I started the reassembly process by putting the rack back on the frame, if I had the facilities I would have probably hit the rack with some black spray paint but as it is waxing it gave it back a little luster.


I had decided to use the Tektro nutted brakes on this build and the front fit fine with plenty of reach for the pads and lots of room for fenders.


Out back it was a bit different, can you spot the issue?  sigh.


So its on to plan B,  back to original brakes which come out on the drive side and have no rack issues.


The original brake set is going to need a clean and new pads, which I have, I also have a crank-set to clean up so sonic cleaner time will probably be next on the agenda.

Got the bb installed so that is now all four main bearings completed.


I got the seat post binder bolt cleaned up and installed in anticipation of the seat post.


I started with this rusty crusty post.

I did the initial clean up with fine steel wool.


And finished it off with some fine brass wool, bit of a difference from the start.


Seat post and saddle reunited with frame. . Then I moved on to other items I had already cleaned up.



Rear and Front derailleurs.


Under bb cable guide.

And finally the shifters, I didn't soak or take apart the shifters, I did clean them with brass wool and loosened the outside bolts so I could spray tri-flow inside, then I wiped them down and installed them.


Certainly more work to do but its getting there.

Ride.Keep those original parts. Smile. Repeat.

2 comments:

  1. I have a 12x24 workshop that I pay $130 per month for. Electric is included. It serves as my tool storage and parking for my little 4x6 trailer. But it's main function is bike shop and beer drinkery. The coolest part? It is located right at the beginning of our local rail trail. Now if only I could turn out fine rebuilds like yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun place to hang out TPC, I am sure you would do a bang up job on a rebuild, you have the workstand, tools and shop you just need to score a tattered 80 road bike for a song and get to work. Replacing all the consumables with new certainly helps and there is a wealth of info out there on just about any job your going to do, Can't be harder than rebuilding a steak house :-)

    ReplyDelete