Friday, September 4, 2020

Return of an old friend - Nishiki Cascade

 


Back in June of 2017 I was aimless browsing the CL bike ads, as I all too often do, and came across this 1984 Nishiki Cascade in the parts section for $11 because it was missing some parts and had a stuck seat post.   The seller thought someone might want it for the wheels but I was attracted to the bullmoose bars not knowing at the time that the metal Thumb shifters where just as cool if not cooler.   The seller was an old guy who fixed bikes in his garage and smoked cigars,  I was jealous!





About a month later I got access to a garage while house sitting and during the great bike blitz of 2017  I got the bike stripped down so I could try to address the stuck seat post.


Even if I failed on the seatpost I had a treasure trove of vintage MTB parts including the bull moose bars and thumbies.




Time, patience and lots of liquid wrench finally did the trick and freed the seat post so I had a bike I could actually build up.


By February of 2018, short of cash and with an apartment bursting with bikes and bike parts I sold the Nishiki Cascade as a project with new tires and most of the parts.   According to CL I asked for $50, I don't recall if I got that but I do recall the guy who bought it, looked very carefully through the box of parts noting what was there and not there.  I was happy to pass it along, pocket some $$ and I thought I had seen the last of that lovely biplane fork......

Recently the guy who I sold box of bits too commented on the blog that he had finished rebuilding the Cascade!  I asked if he wouldn't mind sending me pictures, which he kindly did and then was nice enough to allow me to post them.  I never see bikes or projects after they leave me so this was a real treat.


In addition to all the parts getting taken apart cleaned and reassembled the frame and fork got de rusted and repainted with new decals applied!  Per the builder; 

Rides real well...15 speed...Suntour Perfect 5:14-32, with 26-36-46 Tourney XT crank up front. Had to assemble all sorts of little missing parts (mostly for brakes), put in an enclosed BB, wheels are Araya with high flange hub in front, Pro Class with the holes in back. Both power shifters were completely taken apart, cleaned, lightly lubed, reassembled. Long seat post for wide range of riders. Forewent the bullmoose (honeymoon is over!), for stem and bars for wider range of adjust-ability while still retaining period aesthetics.

Frame was sanded and repainted, frame-savered inside.


So cool to see an old frame on the verge of going to the dump, get new life.  Awesome job by Stefan.

Ride.  Give old things new life. Smile. Repeat.


PS the bull moose bars went on a different build by the buyer.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see a fresh, "new" build!
    I like the darker gray. Was the paint really so bad that a respray was necessary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am firmly in the keep the original paint and enjoy the patina camp but the Cascade paint was thin in spots, bare in spots, and rusty in spots. A sand down and respray was the right call by the new owner.

      Delete