Sunday, June 10, 2018

Making Progress on the Moto_GT


It wasn't that long ago I was down to the frame on the Moto_GT, last week I got the frame and fork back together and this week  I wanted to start getting things back on the bike.  Make no mistake I have a long way to go but I made some progress this weekend.


The before picture of the reflector bracket and front brake cable guide.


After some clean up and brass wire brushing.


I also wanted to get started on cleaning up the brakes which are dirty and dull...


...so remembering the one at a time adage (in case you need a template for getting them back together) I started with the rear and took it apart and readied it for a sonic bath.


Looking cleaner after the bath but I wanted it a bit more shiny so I used Mothers on the three main pieces of the brake.


And with a bit patience, persistence and a minimum of bad language I got it back together - the cleaned up one is on the left.


Since the rear brake and rack get mounted together and because I already had the Mothers polish out I did the rear rack too, the before shot above.  Kinda dull.


After polish and buffing, not perfect but better and not so dull.  Someday I will have a garage and a bench mounted buffing wheel and no alloy part will be safe from a mirror finish.


And here is the pair mounted back on the bike.


The stem definitely needed some help.


A little time with some steel wool and a dremel and it was much better, but the cockpit was still a bit dull.


I didn't want to get mothers all over the bar covers so I taped them off and then got to work.


The Pivo logo is looking a bit better after some attention.

Might as well see what they look like on the bike.


I also wanted to get the BB installed today, here is the shot from April.


The June edition with a cleaner frame, parts, fresh grease and new bearings.  So now half the main bearings are done with the hubs next on the list.


The seat post was looking a bit lonely..


..so I put the cleaned up seat clamp binder/rear brake guide back on.


A seat post binder begs for a seat post and I had just polished this one up, not sure I noticed the logo on the SR post before.


And a seat post of course needs a saddle and I couldn't see putting the bargain bin one back on and although this Brooks springer is intended for the Cresta GT it was just laying around in a box and I'll need some thing for the shakedown cruise.


I had forgotten that on the back of the Brooks instruction sheet you get a cool poster featuring some vintage bikes and a fox.


The Suntour cable guide also need some love..


Which it got, not back on the bike yet but ready to go.


As I said lots still to do but its starting to look like a bike again.


With the sun shining  I did my regular Sunday trip to the market, which was my second ride of the day.  Yes I said second ride, I have been riding on the trainer in the mornings but since Friday I have been doing my 20 minute rides on the road.  At 6 am its light out and no one is on the road and the beauty of being a bike nut is that I have a bike dedicated to the trainer and another, the Allez these days, for local rides.   It's also giving me more saddle time with the Allez.  Today's market ride included a first, starting with sunny skies..



..and concluding with rain which greeted me when I stepped out of the Beer Junction.  My saddle was a bit wet but nothing that a purloined napkin from the mermaid place couldn't deal with and I don't think I got much of a skunk stripe on the short ride home.

Ride. In Sun and Rain.Smile.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment