Sunday, November 4, 2018

Failure as a Flipper: Schwinn LeTour



Back in May when I picked up this 87 Schwinn LeTour I thought it would be a quick flip; it needed a rear brake, a wipe down, maybe a few tweaks here and there and then boom I could have it on Craigslist.  Turns out I am a failure as a flipper.


Taking a bike down to the frame is a flipping epic fail.  See above...sigh.


I have been making good progress recently.


I got the Sugino cranks cleaned up and ready to go back on the bike. Note flippers also don't use a sonic cleaner.



I also got the brakes cleaned up and shod with new brake pads and back on the bike including the replacement rear brake I picked up at Bike-works during the summer.


Today I was planning to clean up the wheels a bit put them back on the bike and call it good.


I scrubbed at the freewheel although as you can see I have a ways to go, its a 6 speed but the two smallest cogs seem to be almost the same size...odd.


As I was wrestling the rear wheel to clean up the FW I noticed the spokes were pretty loosey goosey and it occurs to me my plan of clean and mount the wheels will also fail.  I see cone wrenches and spoke wrenches in my future.  I also don't see the Schwinn on Craigslist as soon as expected.


On the plus side I did get the pedals mounted today, they came off a different bike but that's a story for another day.


So progress made on the Schwinn this week but its going to be two more bearings before its ready.  Far from a flip.

Ride.Do a thorough job.Sigh.Smile.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment