Monday, April 1, 2019

Novara Randonee: Bottom Bracket Redux


So after my fail with the 115 mm UN-55 bb I pulled it to make ready for a longer spindle 118 mm BB.


I didn't really want to wait until next weekend for a new BB so I cancelled my initial order and spent about $7 more and ordered an Origin 8 BB to arrive Sunday, which it did. 

Origin 8 (top) has a longer spindle

Problem solved right?  Nope, I got the new BB installed and dry fitted the drive side crank and it STILL RUBBED.  Arrgh.  At this point bottom brackets are breeding like bunnies in my apartment and I really don't want to order yet another one so.. (if only this were an April fools joke, its not)


I did the old aluminum foil trick and rubbed the foil in the cups to smooth them out, was liberal with the grease  and presto.


Despite $47 in new Bottom brackets in my, now well stocked, parts bin the Novara got its stock 3 piece 30+ year old bb installed with new grease and bearings.





The payoff being the inner ring no longer rubs on the chain stay. Finally!


The bb is adjusted, the cranks are back on and I have even mounted the sneaker pedals - at least one new part worked lol.



With the BB drama finally over I got the brake levers cabled -off the bike where it is easier to do - and then mounted to the bars.


And the brakes are now hooked up and dialed in for cable tension and pad placement.  I actually have quick releases on both the brake and levers so it getting a wheel out shouldn't be a problem.


At this point I just need to cable the shifters and get them dialed in and I can go for a test ride, it still needs things like crank bolt dust covers, kickstand, bar tape etc. but the shift cables are the last item needed to make the bike ride-able.   I got some instructions on setting up the Symmetric shifters from Bike Forums that should help me get them working to spec.


Oh and I might have a Cresta GT to put back together with its resurrected fork.....(but that's a whole nuther story).

Wrench.  Install a Bottom bracket. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat - oh dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment