Monday, April 8, 2019

Project Lazarus: In search of the holy grail...errr fork






Cresta as found
I got some good advice from the person, who originally sold me the Cresta, look for a replacement fork.  I had actually received this advice before on bike forums and was even given a link to a likely replacement on eBay (since sold), but in my angst I forgot about that option -duh- so thanks Josh.




This is, however, not the quick and easy path.  If I wanted a replacement 27" fork set up for calipers I could order one on Amazon today and hey the chrome would look kinda cool.








Or if I was ok with switching to a 700c wheel set up a Surly replacement fork is readily available although I might have issues with fit for the rear canti's and a 700c wheel.  (note to self test fit a 700c wheel to check).






Neither of those options really appeal to me as I would like to keep the original look and use the stock wheelset with the gold anodized rims and the 40 spoke rear wheel. so I will need to play the long game.  I need to search for the Holy Grail -a 27" canti fork that meets the following criteria:


  • 27" wheel size fork - not 700c or 26"
  • 1" threaded steerer tube
  • Lugged fork crown as a unicrown would just look wrong IMHO
  • Canti brake posts
  • 58c Frame sized fork although something bigger might in theory work and just need to have the steer cut down, I will need to measure the current steer length to compare.
  • Ideally Tange steel to match the frame, although I can deal with other steel if the key criteria are met.
  • Paint is easily changed compared to the other concerns so I will take any color.
Within reason I am in for a penny in for a pound with this bike, another option is finding an entire bike or frameset at the right price and cannibalizing the fork.  And yes the 520 just dropped into my lap and might fit the bill, its the same year!, but I can't do that as its just too nice a bike for me to feel good about cannibalizing and right now its my plan B bike if I don't find the grail fork I seek for the Cresta.  Ideally I might find a neglected touring bike to fit the bill but they tend to get snapped up fast, I am not the only one who appreciates them and the 520 was a totally lucky find.




In the end there is no guarantee that even with a solid non-crashed replacement fork that the bike will feel right but its worth a shot.  I have posted a WTB on the bike forums classic and vintage sales page and set up searches on ebay and CL and so now we wait....and ride other bikes and give the re-bent original fork a fair shake with a few more rides.




Ride. Search for the Grail. Smile. Repeat.

2 comments:

  1. I'm convinced that probably close to 3/4 of the fun in vintage bicycles is in the hunt. I'm one that isn't quenched by instant gratification and the thrill of the find builds the longer I wait. The eventual score is so much more satisfying than giving Mr. Bezos your hard earned dollars for a product that may not work on a few levels. Patience (and alerts) are your best friend, Ryan. Take your time. It will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed the thrill of the hunt, the luck of having something like a Trek 520 falling into your lap, the search for that strange sized .833 Schwinn stem, is all part of the fun. I will be patient in the fork search and its not like I don't have other bikes to ride lol

      Delete