Saturday, July 18, 2020

Miyata 112 Rebuild: stuck on you



Letting the crank bolts sit with liquid wrench for a day was probably a good idea, both bolts came off with no issues.


The crank is going to need some clean up as there is a bit of rust on the inside of the small ring.


I had planned to remove the cable guide but the Phillips head screw didn't want move and I didn't want to strip it, so I am going to leave it in place.



The fixed cup on the bottom bracket also didn't want to come off and again I decided to just leave it in place rather than mess around trying to get it out.  It didn't move even when I remembered that this cup loosens clockwise.


One thing I did not want to leave in place was the free wheel, my first attempt to remove it did not work even with my big breaker bar Archimedes which had never failed me.


I recalled that I had a park axle vice that I bought from bikeman4u many moons ago and had never used.  And I had brief access to a vice in an empty garage so I thought I would give it a try.


Sorry for the fuzzy shot but the soft metal in the axle vice holds onto the axle and the vice holds the axle vice tight.  What I didn't recall was the the wheel still spins so I had the same issue I had when trying to use my breaker bar with a bare rim (no tire) I was using 50% of my energy trying keep the rim from moving while using the other 50% on moving the breaker bar.   This method failed too.



After letting the FW problem sit for a few days it occurred to me that putting a tire back in the rim would not only protect the rim but give the wheel traction so it wouldn't slip as much,  I also used the old trick of securing the free wheel tool with the skewer, not so tight the tool can't move but tight enough so it doesn't come loose while you are reefing on it.



I also recalled that having the wheel braced against a wall in the direction your are pushing (counter clockwise) helps and I used a chair on the other side to keep the wheel "locked" in place.   With this set up I only needed a light touch to keep the wheel in place and could use most of my effort on on pushing the breaker bar against the stubborn FW.



Bingo!  Archimedes once again came through when properly supported and the old FW is off.   Now that we are down to the frame, essentially, I can do the work of cleanup on the Miyata.

Ride. Smile. Repeat,

No comments:

Post a Comment