Thursday, July 9, 2020

Miyata 112 Rebuild


I am still working on the finishing touches on the Allez, I need to dial in cogs 5 and 6 for shifting and then I can do the bar wrap and call it done.  That said, I did want to get the Miyata 112 in the workstand in advance of the weekend so I can get it rebuilt and sold this summer.



As you can see from the tires its been a while since this bike got some love so I am looking forward to cleaning and servicing it and then putting it in the hands of someone who can use it.  And maybe a little $$ in my pocket and some space in my apartment.



I went low cost with the new parts, I would have liked to go with tan sidewall tires but for the price point I was looking at I could only find black sidewalls, its an 87 so it won't look too odd with all black tires and they will be new and supple.  Brakes pads, cable and housing, chain FW and bar tape round out the consumables I am replacing. 


About 30 minutes of work got me to this point with the tear down.  I left the cranks in place for a reason.




I did not like the rust I was seeing on the crank bolts so I decided to give them a liquid wrench soak before I try removing them.


The state of the stem bolt also indicates to me this bike spent some of its life outside so I will do my best to treat the rust so the next owner doesn't have to deal with it.

Ride. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment