Sunday, July 25, 2021

One last Project...

 At this apartment anyway.  Next month I am moving to Spokane after 30 years of living in Seattle, 20 here in West Seattle and 9 at this apartment which is where this blog was born.   A number of factors are contributing to the move, I have been thinking of Spokane for a while as I have family there and its a lower cost of living than Seattle.  My landlords here in West Seattle are also incenting us to move so they can update and charge more rent and I figure if they are paying for the move I was going to do anyway then why not?  Finally I have remained in West Seattle in part to be close to my daughter but she is heading off the college in Ellensburg in September which brings me to the build...


My ex had a free mountain bike under her porch,  an Iron Horse Sonic XS it fits my Daughter and she likes it and did I mention it was free?  


So a great campus bike candidate.



Its got some rusty bolts and a rusty chain and the brakes are mushy,  but the rear shifting is fine and the front just needs some minor tweaking.




I would not have chosen a suspension fork or grip shifters BUT its free and that is a good place to start.


I have most of what I need in the parts bin, cable chain etc.  My daughter likes the knobby tires so they will stay and I can probably get most of what else I need for less than a C note.  She will be off to school with a lock, pump, rack and panniers, spare tube and multi tool tire irons etc.  enough to mend most minor issues.  

I am trying to tread the line between making it very nice for my daughter and just keeping it functional and safe since as a bike used on a college campus the odds of it being stolen are pretty high, which is why I am not worried about it not being exactly what I would have chosen and instead I am focused on making it mechanically sound.

More to come.

10 comments:

  1. A milestone moment, Ryan. Congratulations on the big, difficult decision. Many others are coming to the same conclusion as larger pacific northwest, hubs such as Portland and Seattle, are seeing some long-time resident exodus due to the seemingly no-limit price increases for food, living situations, transportation and everything else in between. With wages not able to keep up, it only makes sense.

    Look at it this way, the competition is quite a bit less for vintage bicycles in Spokane as it would be in Seattle, so that's a plus!

    Godspeed to you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh! The fact that I can work remotely so easily these days also doesn't hurt.

      Delete
    2. Even better! Seattle wages in a smaller town will likely take you far.

      Delete
  2. Ryan, so happy for you! In the midst of the move, it won't be fun, but coming out the other side is great. Change is good and family always matters. I expect hear more from you sometime down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How the hell does it happen? Nine years go by like nothing, your little girl goes off to college, you make a major move...do you know your way around Spokane? I haven't been more than ten miles from the trailer park in the last three years. Something about old age and staying on the porch. I mean, I literally sat on my porch all day; yesterday too. I managed to get in a few miles this morning, I saw the ocean (hasn't changed) and went around a few familiar old loops. I'll stick to the trail, though, I think.

    Are you riding? I can't seem to remember. I get my first social security check next month. Good lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sorta know my way around Spokane, my sister, brother and Mom live there so I visit a couple times a year. I am looking forward to exploring and finding stuff. Trying not to think about all the places and people I am leaving behind. I am riding a little but need to bump it up. There is a nice trail network in Spokane for me to check out.

      Delete
  4. Holy cow I just checked where Spokane was and I see you're only 30 minutes from Coeur d'Alene! I had a wild old time in that town one night I'll tell ya. Back in me ramblin' days.

    Ah life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece got married there in June, nice lake resort town.

      Delete