Saturday, May 25, 2019

Clunker Challenge 2019 Finished


Today I got in a 15 km ride along Alki to put the finishing touches on the clunker challenge for 2019.  I spent about about $80 for a 87 Trek 520 Cirrus and a few parts like pedals and a bottle cage.  I started riding on April 6th and finished on May 25th and rode a total of 105 km so I met the requirements of; spending less than $100, riding 100 kilometers an doing so in less than 100 days starting on April 2nd.

Light house is above my saddle a bit obscured


I had in mind that I wanted to get a shot of the light house on Alki during the ride, forgetting that its kind of short, you can't get very close without trespassing on government property and with the buildings and trees its tough to get a clear view but I did my best.  It was a good ride, although it looked threatening the rains held off, but I did have tail winds, side winds and a head wind on the way back.


My only complaint about the trusty Trek 520 was the stock Vetta Saddle, I ended up wearing bib shorts under regular shorts to make it tolerable for any ride longer than about 3 km.  I think the 520 will go into dry dock for a bit as I have a bunch of projects in motion right now, but I have the following items for it on hand after it gets a tear down and the spa treatment:


  • Barely used Panaracer Pasela's 27 x 1 1/4 that were briefly on the Novara Randonee
  • Deda dark blue bar tape to play off the Trek decals
  • New Nitto Noddle handle bars in 44 cm width
  • New Nitto Technomic stem to get the bars up
  • a set of 4 new dia-compe brake pads
  • MKS sneaker pedals

I still need to figure out cable and housing, I think the Ice Grey Jagwire kit is nice and would work on this bike, and of course the saddle needs to go.  If Velo Orange still had a deal on leather saddles I would get one but that is done, so for now I will probably borrow the Brooks off the Handsome devil when the time comes as I think the 520 has a 27.2 seat post so it would be a straight swap of post and saddle.  In the meantime I keep looking on ebay for deals on Brooks.

Ride. Finish a challenge. Smile. Repeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment