Sunday, December 15, 2019

Trek 520 tear down



I have been intending to get the 520 in the workstand for a while but hadn't gotten to it.  So today during the Hawks game I got it into the stand and broke out the wrenches.


Off to a good start, wheels off, cockpit off.


I had already intended to reuse the mega range 6 speed FW and since the chain is a quick link I will clean it up and reuse it too.  I have always heard you should replace the chain and FW/Cassette together so I will keep whats there and use the new chain I have in the parts bin for the Allez project.


Getting there down to the crankset ..


... and now a box of parts.


Not bad for a lazy Sunday afternoon.  The headset top cap was being stubborn and I didn't feel like doing the bb yet so here is sits mostly torn down.   I have most of what I need for the refresh, just need to get a couple shift cables and I am set.

Ride. Tear it down. Smile. Repeat.

Happy Holidays.

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't the 520 originally marketed as a long term touring machine?? Those long chainstays!!
    Are you rebuilding to keep??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim, from looking at vintage trek the early 520s were marketed as sports touring bikes and then by 87 were firmly touring bikes with canti, long chain stays etc the entry to the touring line up for trek with the 620 and 720 being the mid and top range. I really like the way this fits and the plan is to first rebuild and then do some side by side tests with the Cresta GT

      Delete