Sunday, December 22, 2019

Trek 850 Antelope review and Sunday odds and ends



Finally got a day where it was just overcast and not raining buckets, we have been caught in A plume of tropical moisture -- known as "atmospheric river" or more colloquially, a "Pineapple Express".  Anyway today was dry so I addressed the 850.



First thing was addressing the flat front tire.  When I first pulled it and then pumped it up it appeared to be fine but by day 2 it was getting flaccid so I went with the underwater test.  That got me in the general vicinity  and then I applied some dish soap to pinpoint the leak.   Since the leak was directly across from the stem I was able to find the likely cause on the tire.  It appears one of the wires that make up the interior of  of the tire rubber had poked through, I put some masking tape over it although in retrospect some duct tape might have been better.  I am not too worried about it as the tires will most likely get replaced and I was just trying to get the bike ride-able.



One thing I noticed when the bike was in the stand was the shifting, the rear shifter was ok, pretty good going from big to small cog but iffy going back up the cog.  A couple of doses of Brakleen fixed that and it shifts fine now.  I will let it dry some and then spray some tri flow in for lubricant.  The front shifter is another matter, its in the small ring and doesn't want to shift up to the middle or big ring.  Initial Brakleen treatment hasn't changed that so I will keep at it.


before

after

Not a big deal but I noticed the brake/shifters were not aligned and that kind of bugged me, so I adjusted the front brake/shifter to be in the same plane as  the rear.

For $20 I was not expecting perfection but its good to go into these "deals" with open eyes.  No complaints, but here is what I have noticed about the 850:


  • Flat front tire
  • Front shifter not working
  • Rear shifter needed help to operate both ways
  • Mismatched tires, front stock rear replacement
  • Mismatched rims, rear stock, front replacement Araya.
Rear wheel (Stock)

Front wheel - replacement
The front flat and rear shifter I have addressed, the front shifter I have not given up on, the mismatched rims aren't big deal they pass the 10 foot test and the tires I think I will probably replace.  I have sold a few parts lately and may funnel the proceeds to some of these..


I think the Schwable Jet City's will give the 850  a smooth  ride.


I did get in a ride to the market and the ride was on the bouncy side which I attribute to the mismatched knobby tires and a under inflated rear, but the fit is in the ball park.  I don't dislike the grips   I also noticed the seat post QR needed tightening when the saddle slipped down, and that I forgot to adjust the Saddle before setting out.


I had noticed earlier that the saddle was waaay forward but forgot to adjust it before the ride, after my trip I think the nose needs to come up just a bit too.  Looking forward to some more tinkering and then seeing how it works after I fix the tires, shifter and saddle.



While I was dropping off some donations I found out there will be a warehouse sale at bike works next month, I will probably have to check it out.



This year for the Coffeeneuring swag I got not a patch but a cool metal badge.

Suicide Squeeze IPA, Fort George Astoria OR 

H.Bomb Winter ale (Coconut) Fremont, Seattle WA


No Scrubs IPA, Cloudburst Seattle WA


I was at the Market so I did have to stop at the Beer Junction for some tastes.





Ride.  Have a Great Holiday. Smile. Repeat.

4 comments:

  1. I'd keep the Araya wheel even if it isn't stock for this bike. It's a quality part that'll last. I wish that I could have a replacement fall into my lap for $20! I've put mine through daily use in all weather for 4 years, and now, they're nearly worn down. I've been looking at some Velocity Atlas rims for a replacement, but if I could get a set (or even one!) Araya for not much money, I'd jump one it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had good experience with Arayas so I am happy to keep it and I am trying to keep costs down on this bike while I see how I like it.

      Delete
  2. Funny enough, this week, after Christmas, I did have a new pair of wheels fall into my lap; but they're no-name rims and hubs, probably cast-offs from a bike-shaped object from the nearby dept store. They're 559 mm, but wider than I'd like, and set up for disc brakes, so the hubs are narrower than I'd like. I don't know if I can trust them on my daily driver. Oh well, be careful what you wish for, I suppose! I'll probably pass them on and continue my quest for the Atlas rims. I just couldn't bear to see those wheels cast into the woods. They deserve a trip to the recycling plant at the very least if no one wants them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have a bike Co-op near me and I try to direct all my spare parts that I can't use their way.

      Delete