Monday, December 30, 2019

Thoughts on the Trek 850 Antelope


I haven't figured out exactly what I am going to do with the 850 yet, i.e is it a keeper or do I want to flip it for a gain?  Regardless there are things that needed fixing, as I noted before the saddle was slammed all the way forward so I have adjusted it to the middle of the rails.



One other issue I have to deal with is the the Front derailleur, the front shifter wasn't working AND the derailleur itself was poorly positioned.  After trying to work around the bottle cage I decided it was in the way and it needed to go to make my life easier for messing with the FD.


Ahh so much easier to get the Y wrench in there to move the derailleur around.  I am not done with the FD but I can get it to move from the small to middle ring so that is progress from where I started.


Since we had some nice weather yesterday I decided I would take the 850 out, I commented that on the initial test ride the bike felt very bouncy.  Before this ride I made sure both tires were inflated to 50 psi, I did discover the rear tire had been low, and this ride was much better, not bouncy, some buzz but that is to be expected with knobby tires on pavement.  Never underestimate the power of proper inflation.  I still think that city tires will improve the ride even more but this is much better.

I am trying to hold off on putting $$ into this bike while I figure out what I am going to do but I do find myself thinking about what I might do if I was going to keep it.  On this ride I felt like the reach was just a touch far but I have a stem with shorter reach,  so I could swap stems and improve the reach if I decide to keep the bike.   For now the goal is to just get the FD to move to all chain rings.

Ride.Tweak.Smile.Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment