Saturday, May 23, 2020

1987 Trek 520: Front Wheel Part II


Its been a while but I did finally get back to the Trek 520 front wheel.  In the last post I had torn down the hub but realized I didn't have a way to remove the rubber seal without damaging it.



I realized that with the rubber cover left in the only way to clean the cup of the hub was to use the dremel,  but I quickly realized that my dremel battery was kaput so I had to order a new one and wait.



Finally I was able to use the dremel and a small brass wire brush to clean out the hub as best I could.


I also took the opportunity to clean the dirty tire with hot soapy water.


And with the hub cups cleaned it was time for fresh grease and 10 new bearings (3/16th) per side.


Fresh grease applied and shiny new bearings.


Axle and cones reinstalled.



I got the hub adjusted and put the tire and tube back in place.  Done right...




Well about 5 minutes after I took the picture above I heard a tick tick tick and then POP! like a gunshot, and I realized that despite being careful, or so I thought, I had gotten a pinch flat.  The good new is that I have another tube and the blowout didn't happen on the road.

My ears are still ringing but the front tire is basically done.  Hopefully the rear won't take as long.

Ride. Avoid pinch flats. Smile. Repeat.

1 comment: