Saturday, May 16, 2020

Return of the Approach

Almost exactly 6 years ago I worked on my friend Charlie's 1995 Diamondback Approach Hybrid.  Link to blog post here .  With my favorite Coffee shop reopened for take out orders I saw him recently and he asked me about tires for the Diamondback.


The bike still lives outside and in 6 years the tires were looking shabby, they were used to begin with and Charlie was concerned about dry rot.  As it turns out I had some Soma tires that were too fat for the Allez at 700 x 28c and frankly a bit undersized for this bike, but they were in good shape and this bike is back up transport not regularly used and so they would be fine.


I told Charlie I had some tires, they might be a bit gaudy but had plenty of life left.  I couldn't just replace the tires, of course, so I put my workstand out on the porch to take advantage of the lovely weather we had last week.



The most obvious thing was to attack the rust so I used the dremel (with new battery) to remove the headset rust from the last 6 years.


The old tired tires came off and I did a few other things:


  • lightly sanded down the brake pads
  • wiped down the dirty frame
  • checked the wheels for true and cleaned them up, and replaced a torn rim strip on the rear wheel
  • cleaned and lubed the seat post and stem
  • replaced the tires of course
  • cleaned and lubed the chain
  • took a test ride to check the braking and shifting


I wiped down the contact points, grips seat etc with Clorox wipes and did a no touch drop off.  Charlie thought it looked a bit like the Pee Wee Herman bike lol.  He didn't have too but insisted on giving me $$ for the work which was nice as was doing some bike work again since I have stalled out a bit on the 520,  

Ride. Smile. Wash your hands. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment