Sunday, June 7, 2020

1987 Trek 520: Finishing stretch




Since I was waiting on the rear derailleur cable I ran the brake cables and got the braking dialed in front and back.


When the derailleur cable finally arrived I had an issue in the lowest gears where the derailleur body was rubbing on the 34 tooth cog when indexing through the gears. I went back to the Park Tools video on the rear derailleur and doing indexing and got it sorted out.



while dealing with the RD I noticed the rear wheel was not as true as I thought so I first marked the tire with some masking tape where it was rubbing and then trued it up.




That got the bike finished enough for a test ride which included some peaceful protesting in the local junction.   It was raining but not enough to keep protesters from gathering or me getting the bike too dirty by riding it.



I got this blue bar tape to play off the blue of the Trek logo and I must be out of practice because I had to wrap one side 3 times to get it right.  The tape appeared to be a darker blue when I ordered it but I still like it.




Its far from perfect but the rust is gone and the frame is touched up and  I am pleased with the rebuild.  I am mostly inclined to keep this bike and do some comparisons with the Nishiki just to see which 1987 steel touring bike I like best.  There is a part of me, however,  which wants to see just how hot the bike market really is right now.... we will see.



Its not May but the 6-pack Allez has made its way into the bike stand...

Ride. Smile. Repeat.

4 comments:

  1. Nice! Goals are great but eventually completing a project is what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very True Annie -the 520 rebuild certain drug on longer than expected but it did get done.

      Delete
  2. Awesome job on the 520!

    I've heard that sales of new bikes have exploded in recent months. My local shop was slammed with service work and sales lately. Maybe try putting one of the other bikes in your stable out there as a feeler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I am considering using the 520 as a market feeler as it is my duplicate 87 touring bike and I have allot of blood sweat and tears (and $$) in the other -the Cresta GT. But nothing is decided just yet.

      Delete