Saturday, June 20, 2020

Some Tweaks for the 520


After test riding the 520 I found that although it was fine in the workstand the rear derailleur rubbed on the two lowest gears of the Mega range FW when I was on the road.  I could have fiddled with it to try and get it to behave but opted to spend about $25 on a new Shimano 14-28 6 speed freewheel and KMC Z51 chain.  You should always replace them in pairs so an old FW doesn't prematurely wear out your new chain or vice versa.  The new parts solved my shifting issues and I addressed a few other minor issues like chain rub for the FD in the biggest gear and rear brake squeak.


It took me a while to figure this out but when you have a saddle and pedals you like you don't leave them on the bike you want to sell, you replace them with items you have in the parts bin and keep the stuff you like.  So the VO leather saddle and MKS sneaker pedals stay with me for the next bike I adopt.




I took some snaps and listed the bike on CL and FB marketplace to test how hot this bike market really is.  If someone wants to pay me $400 for this Trek 520 then fine, and if not it won't break my heart to keep it.


Ride. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment