Saturday, October 3, 2020

Prairie Breaker update

 


I did a bit more playing around with the Shogun today, a quick wipe down although its going to need a real scrub, greasing the seat post and stem etc.



I took some brass wool to the bullmoose bars to clean them up a bit.



Under the grime I discovered a mostly Shimano drive train.


I have been spoiled by quick release wheels so when I went to load up the bike and discovered bolt on wheels front and back I had a moment of panic.  Fortunately I bought this car from my mom back in 2016 and my Dad always had a tub of road flares first aid and  misc tools one of which was a pair of pliers.   I carefully used them to loosen the front wheel nuts and I was in business.  Thanks Dad, still helping me out even though he passed away in 2012.


I got the bike in the stand and removed the rear fender and also realized the tires are mismatched and of different widths- 2.125 in back and 1.5 in front .


I would have preferred something wider and with a gum wall but 26" tires are rarer than hens teeth right now so I was happy to find some 26 x 1.5 at a price that would allow me to replace them and still ride the clunker challenge.



The reflector had lost its reflecty bit but I have one in the parts bin I can swap in.


I am a bit bummed the Shogun head badge decal isn't the cool Shogun helmet style but that is a minor gripe.




I am glad the tubing is Tange and not HiTen which should make the ride nicer and there a lots of cool details like the fork which I already mentioned, the seat stay caps and the fact its a lugged not TIG welded frame.


From bike forums I think the serial number means this is a frame built in October of 1985 for the 86 model year but I am awaiting some confirmation. 





I just had a contract end so while I wait on the next one I have a nice little project to keep me busy.


Ride.Smile.Repeat,

3 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting old, classic MB. I wouldn't worry about the lack of quick release wheels. An Advantage is someone is less likely to steal a wheel. Something I've come to like about my folding bike, for example. Ryan, that fork crown is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie I am looking forward to the journey with this one, lots to like.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete