Due to the condition of the frame mentioned in part 1 of this series I had thought of building this bike up as a "stealth" bike, ugly on the outside but immaculate mechanically, or what Randy at mytenspeeds calls a "Junk Bike". I started by taking it down to the frame set and immediately hit my first ever stuck stem! I tried lots of methods to get it unstuck but eventually I had to amputate.
The rust spots on the down tube and top tube just behind the head tube kept worrying me though and upon taking the bike to the good folks at Bike Works for a second opinion my concern was confirmed "I wouldn't ride it the frames compromised" stated the wrench on duty. Sigh. So I left the frame with them so they could get the scrap value out of it and went to the warehouse in search of a donor frame-set for the box of parts I now had. It had to be a Raleigh of course because I had all these cool Raleigh branded parts. Luck was with me and I found an early 70's Raleigh Record frame-set that I think will do the trick.
Also this Record frame is old enough that it was equipped with a cottered cranks as you can see from the legacy Bottom Bracket.
Next time I hope to post some actual progress on this build. By the way that is my brand spanking new Park work stand pictured with the Record frameset, purchased from Hugh's Online bike shop PLUG. The stand kind of makes me feel like a big boy bike mechanic. Until Part 3...