First I needed to get the fork taken care of. I had used one of my spiffy new tools (Nashbar crown race puller) to get the crown race off so I could clean it.
In the diagram below, part 3533 has a "shaft" that all the shifter parts fit around, Velo-Orange very kindly provides an extra long shaft to use with the thumbies, except that the shifter "guts" would not fit around the VO part as it was just slightly too big and using the stock part, meant for a stem shifter mount, the shaft was too short to fit all of the washers that go at the end (3526, 3527, 3528). Where is Goldie Locks when you need her? I speculate the lack of a key washer is what allowed the front derailleur shifter to keep loosening.
So I had to scrap that and go with the original stem mount system (below). Thank goodness for keeping and cleaning all the original parts!
I also mounted the basket (a key piece of the build) only to find it hung down low enough to interfere with the front tire. Luckily I happened to have a Dia Compe mini rack I had intended for a later build that mounts to center pull brakes and that solved the basket issue. I did have to add an extra washer to keep the rack "tang" from getting hung up on the headset and interfering with steerage.
One thing I really liked about this build is how much detail they put into this bike, almost all of the components had either a Le Tour marking or said "Schwinn Approved". Even the seat post has a Le Tour marking that you would never see!