Thursday, February 20, 2014

1980 Peugeot UO-10 "Course" Part II Gone in 60 minutes

The first step in any bike rehab for me is to take the bike down to the frame-set.
There are probably better, smarter, faster ways of rehabbing the bike but this method works for me as it makes it easier to; take an inventory of what I have, what needs to be replaced, what might be a problem and its easier to clean everything when its all disassembled.

For the Course I decided I would actually set my kitchen timer and see what I could get done in 60 minutes and create a "timelapse" photo history as I did so.  To that end I layed out (most) of the tools I would need for the job and created a list of steps to follow before hitting go on the timer.

Clock at zero a complete in need of alot of TLC
3 minutes gone broke chain, cut cables goodbye wheel-set
6 minutes gone goodbye brakeset
8 minutes gone goodbye seat-post and saddle- whew not stuck!
12 minutes gone goodbye shifters, stem and handlebar combo- again glad its not stuck
15 minutes gone goodbye derailleurs front and rear
18 minutes gone goodbye pedals
22 minutes gone goodbye wait a second.
My crank puller worked fine for the stock Peugeot drive-side crank arm but the non drive-side was missing when I got this bike and I picked up an orphan non drive arm at Bikeworks that happens to be a Stronglight and they need their own special tool which I do not have. Dang!
24 minutes gone I got the headset and fork removed.
Which leaves me with a frame-set and a box of parts.
The crank arm issue means I can't remove the bottom bracket so I decided to stop here.  I didn't get through the entire 60 minutes but I am reasonably sure, without the crank issue, I could have removed the bb and the headset cups and fork crown race and maybe even the freewheel all within an hour.

I have said before however,  and this is a great illustration,  that things seldom go perfectly when working on a 10 speed.  In the scheme of things not having the right tool for the Stronglight crank is minor compared to a stuck stem or seat-post and a few calls to local shops found me an LBS with the right tool and $5 later the crank arm was off.  After a rub down with some Armor All wipes the french blue is really coming through on the frame.  It has some rust issues here and there and some paint chips on the fork but I think its going to clean up nicely.

Now for the real work, getting everything cleaned lubed and back together.

As always friends Ride.Smile.Repeat


  1. OMG, What a hoot! I had no idea someone could dismantle a bike quite that fast.

  2. Hey Annie, thanks for coming by. You need the 3 ps to take down a bike this "fast" Preparation, Proper Tools, and lots of Practice. Oh and some dumb luck to avoid stuck stems, seat-posts, pedals and bottom brackets ;-).

  3. This is fun. No way I could do this, I would have parts strewn all over the garage floor. The blue of this bike is striking, gonna be a cool rebuild.

  4. That's the beauty of the box Jim it makes it very hard to lose parts when you keep them all together, although I still manage to do that occasionally like I did with the Fiorelli BB. One thing I didn't mention is that I try to take pictures of the complete bike, especially how the brake and shifter cables get routed/attached before I do a tear down. I agree with you on the color, I really like this blue and I think a few coats of wax after I deal with the spot rust issues will really make it pop.

  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.