|Pressing in the headset cups after cleaning them up|
|Headset and bottom bracket rebuilt|
|shifter, seat binder brake cable guide and pump clamp|
|Dirty even after an initial wipe down with degreaser|
The crankset, while not original to the bike is a period correct pantographed Peugeot set I purchased from Randy at mytenspeeds back when I thought I was going to build this up for myself as a light tourer.
|Crank it up|
Getting into the home stretch it was time to get the cockpit back together; new gum hoods for the brake levers and lots of grease for the seat tube and head tube.
|Cockpit in place|
I did run into an unexpected snag when I started on the cabling with the brake straddle cables. The brakes on this bike are Mafacs although not the famous Racers. As I noted in a post on the Racers they have a kind of funky straddle cable that you basically create out of a shift cable. This center-pull, at first glance, appeared to be a regular double ended cable. No worries I thought, I have a stock of those, but after looking more closely I realized I had a problem. The replacement straddle wire I had has ends that are like little hockey pucks whereas this brake takes a wire that has ends that are like ball bearings.
|Not the same|
I had actually searched to find some cables that would play off the yellow-gold of the decals and got a nice set of gold Jagwire cables to do the job, with the cables and chain in place it was just down to some fine tuning of the brakes and shifting before applying the handlebar tape and Nitto bar end plugs. I always like to leave the bar tape for last to A) avoid getting it greasy and B) allow me to adjust with brake levers after the test ride. All in all I am pretty pleased with the result.
I am thinking of doing a UO-8 (Sports) comparison to the Course in my next post. Until then ride.smile.repeat.