Saturday, March 10, 2018

And then there were three

Ok that isn't actually true yet but it's the goal, get down to three bikes in the whole apartment;

Those three will keep me plenty busy as the last two both need the complete overhaul/spa treatment, and even the HD needs new bar tape and a few tweaks.




The pictures above are from June of 2017 and chronicle the height of the bike zaniness,  it can be tough to see it all but there are; two complete mountain bikes, two complete road bikes and five frames, as well as various wheel-sets occupying my humble balcony.




The pictures above reflect how things look today, just a bit of a change.  What happened to all the stuff you ask?

  • The 1978 Schwinn Traveler and one wheel set remain in the on deck circle- a project in waiting
  • The 1980 Raleigh Rapide is completed and listed on CL for sale
  • The Green 1973 Motobecane Mirage is in the work stand and is close (fingers crossed) to being done and will be sold on CL.
  • The Yellow Motobecane Mirage frameset was sold along with a few french parts and a wheel-set.
  • The 1960 something,Torpado Alpha Frameset and all its parts were sold as a project and I threw in a bunch of new consumables; tires, tubes, cotter pins, cables, etc.
  • The 1984 Nishiki Cascade was sold with new tires as a project.
  • The 1986 Miyata Trail runner was sold - the guy traveled 50 miles just to get the stock wheel-set.
  • The wheelset from the 1974 Nishiki Professional with the sanshin high flange hubs got moved inside and if I am dumb enough to buy a frame only project down the road they will be ready.


The last two residents of the balcony along with some wheels and rims and various metal bits went to the scrap yard (sad trombone).

I did harvest many parts from both of the bikes above some of which have been sold on and some of which may appear again soon in a future project.  For the Nishiki Professional as an example, I kept the wheel-set, and the seat post and saddle, while the stem, shifters, and derailleurs got sold. The Sugino bottom bracket and crankset I may also clean up and sell.  I should have never bought that bike but I think I at least broke even.

Some of these projects have been lingering for 5 years and it was cathartic to clear them out.  It also didn't hurt to put some $$ in my pocket.  I still have two projects I want to complete before tacking the Nishiki Cresta GT,  and after that I have the long overdue MotoGT to give a well deserved overhaul, so I am far from out of the woods.  After I get through all that I hope to take more of a one at a time approach to my rehab projects.  We'll see how that works out... lol. 

in the workstand

Until next time. Ride.Smile.Don't hoard.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment