Sunday, June 3, 2018

Divided Efforts

Rather than focus on getting one bike done my efforts this weekend were divided.  Three bikes got some sort of attention.

Nishiki Cresta GT

I mentioned last time that I was not going to use the Nishiki headset and its funky threaded spacer again and had ordered a Velo Orange Grand Cru HS, well it has arrived and will await the Cresta rebuild.


And adding to the growing pile of new parts intended for the Cresta are a set of Jagwire white braided housing and brake cables and a new VO bottom bracket just for the heck of it, that means half the bearings should go quicker with the new-in-box parts with sealed cartridge bearings.  So not much actual work on the Cresta but I think I have now accumulated all the parts I need.

Specialized Allez Sport


On a trip to Bike Works this weekend I picked up a rear rack for $15 which is about half what I would pay to get a cheap one on Amazon.


Its a Blackburn brand rack, the same brand that would have come on the Cresta GT but probably a newer model.  Although this rack will probably end up on the Nishiki I thought I would give it a try on the Allez.


I got the first three connection points set up but the smooth ride stopped there.


The design had me scratching my head, the rack strut has to be mounted to the outside of the seat stay -that is where the attach point is but in doing so it interferes with the operation of the rear side pull brake...wtf?!!  I may dry fit the rack that goes on the Motobeacane which attaches to the brake bridge to see if that style will work better for the Allez.


Even though  the rack is only attached with 3 out of 4 bolts I decided to use it anyway, it will just be for Market runs with a very light pannier (lock, multi tool and maybe a ball cap). 

I had noticed while on the Sheldon Brown seat post database that my year of Allez had a modern 27.2 seat post.  I happen to be running the long set back Velo Orange seat post on the HD in the same size, and I was thinking that style post would allow for the fit tweaks I needed to see if the 56 cm frame could work for me.


So I (temporarily) robbed Peter in order to...


To pay Paul and see if I could improve the fit.  I realized the saddle was set up too high when I mounted up but I had brought my Y allen wrench and made a quick adjustment and the fit is about 100% better than on my first ride with the stock saddle and post, two weeks ago.  I need to do some more tweaking but I think a VO seat post is in the bikes future if it stays in the stable.


Since I had the Allez in the work stand I decided to mount the Pasela I ordered for it to match the front tire.


It replaced an aging 25c IRC tire.


I was also able to confirm my suspicion that this bike is equipped with a 7 speed Cassette, rather than a free wheel, not a surprise considering the year.


The Allez now has nice plush Panaracers front and back.


With the work done we are ready to head to the market, the only way I am going to find out if this bike is a keeper is to ride it and the market is my most consistent ride opportunity at this point.


I hadn't forgotten the Allez in my recent purchasing.  I thought that yellow bar wrap and cable housing would pop against the yellow decals on the Specialized.  I won't be doing that work for a while but I have most of what I need to clean up and restore the Allez, but for now its a local rider.


Much more comfortable ride today, my arms didn't feel like they were supporting my weight, the saddle was much more to my liking (duh) and the fit was better with the seat post set back.  I continue to be impressed by how well this bike transfers pedaling to forward motion, I am not fast but this bike makes me feel like I am.  I guess they don't call this tubing Direct Drive for nothing.

Moto_GT

Three weeks ago I thought I would be applying the final coat of wax and installing the headset, then Illness derailed me so here I am.  Saturday I put on the final coat of wax on the frame and fork, and today...


It was time to amortize my headset press.


Bottom cup is looking good.



The top cup though was crooked, and was still crooked after a second try, so..


..I went a bit old school with the wood block and mallet after getting the cup centered and level


Much better.


And one last time with the press to snug it all up.


Fork crown race is back in place.  When it came time to use the caged bearings I had set aside, they worked fine for the lower cup and race, but in the upper cup race the cage was just slightly too big to fit in a move -oddly.  Fortunately I has some loose bearing in the parts bin...



 22 to 5/32nd bearings and a bit of space later we are ready...


..and the frame set is back together at last.  Lots more work to do but the Moto_GT has its foundation back.

Ride.Smile.Work on allot of bikes. Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment