Monday, November 9, 2020

Be still my beating heart

 A trip to the doctors in late October to figure out why I had been dealing with a shortness of breath for 3 weeks revealed my heart had been slacking.  It was only beating about about 50% of the rate it should have been resulting in a build up of fluid which was why I was having shortness of breath.

My first reaction was "C'mon!"  I spent this year fasting and losing 40 lbs and walking and riding my bike and my reward is heart issues! not fair (you can hear the whine in that complaint).  And then after  awhile I thought that maybe all that work meant things turned out less bad than they could have....and as long as I am still breathing I can start over with weight loss and fitness etc.

My cardiologist thinks I have a good chance to get my heart beating again like it should, a new range of meds have helped and all the water weight I gained has gone, I have been squeezed like sponge lol and am back to where I was after the weight loss.  The biggest thing besides not feeling short of breath is sleep, I could not lie down to sleep in October without the need after a few minutes to sit up to breathe so I slept sitting up and only got about 2 hours of disjointed rest, but now I am sleeping 7 to 8 hours again - lying down.  Bliss.

For now I am neither drinking alcohol or riding my bike per doctors orders so I will not complete this years Coffeeneuring challenge - sad trombone, but I am doing some easy walking and hope to be back on the bike,  and drinking the occasional adult beverage again in 2021.  And when I am feeling up to it I have a few Mountain bikes to tinker with and numerous small projects on the rest of the fleet.



Until then I hope YOU will ride. Smile. and Repeat.

16 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon and can started riding again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Ryan! You'll be back in the saddle once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you Ryan. Rest up, take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks All I am feeling much better than I was in late October and I should know more after a stress test later this week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer! Getting old really sucks. But the alternative is worse so just do what your doctor says (mostly) and hang in there. After my heart attack I decided to get back in shape and almost killed myself.

    It ain't worth it. Take it easy, take your time and you will be back in the saddle again. Hey, that has a nice ring to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Man I am going easy. I have a follow up with the cardio after thanksgiving so I am hopeful I can find out when I can get back on the bike

      Delete
  6. Ryan:
    Time to let us know how you're doing. I know the feeling of not riding - got my
    achilles tendon blow a year ago. Took 4 months before I could mount a bike. But
    by July I did 60 kilometres on a flat run. I'm 75.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking Edmund and for the encouraging words. I am feeling good but still wearing a defib vest so not riding yet but hope to next month.

      Delete
  7. Just read your great Saeco Canondale post from six years ago. Timeless subject. I am tall and 15 years ago found a bike my size on CL. It was a mint bright red Saeco with the carbon fork. I have kept it and will ride it a few times a summer. I too prefer a comfortable steel bike as a former Clydesdale. My main ride is a dark green ten year old Surly Long Haul disc Trucker with tan Brooks saddle and bar bag. Each bike is a perfect example of its type. Good luck with your health. I am entering second year of battle with cancer but been in remission since surgery 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Josullivanjr glad to hear you are in remission, my ex wife is 15 years out from battling breast cancer and is doing well. I like that dark green color for the LHT.

      Delete
  8. So: a new year; a new president, house, and senate; a new Super Bowl champion. How's it going? Asking for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not back on the bike ...yet. I am hoping that in March I will be able to through a leg over the old top tube. I have made some changes in the fleet and once I am riding again I will post about that.

      Delete
  9. Hey Ryan, Slow winter days in the lumber business has me catching up to some of this back stuff and I got to checking your blog. I am so sorry the medical issues has you off the bike but I hope you are on the rebound. Congrats on the weight loss. Take care man, follow the doc's advise and see you back on the bike!!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim I am hoping for spring to be back on the bike in the meantime I am trying to follow doctors orders and be a good boy

      Delete
  10. shit, sorry to hear this Ryan. Haven't been wrenching much in these winter months, but the days are getting longer again... Let me know if I can help with anything--seriously. Happy to help motivate or whatever, lord knows I need it sometimes... Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I am doing better and am about to get back on the bike

      Delete