Friday, May 1, 2015

An ode to the Trailer Park Cyclist

I discovered today, that my virtual friend the Trailer Park Cyclist is hanging up his shingle on the 'ol internets citing among other things the time and toil required in being a grown up isn't leaving much time for being the TPC.  If you have never read the TPC I urge you to do so at http://trailerparkcyclist.blogspot.com/ his writing is a real treat and in the 4 years I have been reading him I have learned a little and laughed a hell of a lot.

Like my friend, I have been "on the beach" (unemployed) as often as not over the last 3 years.  I think Tim Joe got alot more out of being unemployed than I did.  I did a little blogging and some working on bikes but mostly I worried over getting the next job.  Tim Joe on the other hand wrote alot on his  blog and more often than not made me laugh and always made me eager for more.  Since he hasn't blogged much in the last year I wasn't shocked that he was closing things down but still saddened a bit that (selfishly) I wouldn't have a TPC post to look forward to.  I can, however, attest to the fact that being a grown up and being responsible tends to put a gigantic hole in your day and there often isn't much left to spend on pursuits like a blog.

If I recall correctly I first came across Tim Joe's work in the brief time I read the "Fat Cyclist" blog, he had written and excellent piece called "Trailer Park Cyclist vs Cervelo Guy" and I was hooked.  This was also a time when I was transitioning from a Roadie who craved carbon and going fast to a steel is real, ride fat tires and go off pavement and screw the HRM kind of guy.  Most of my cycling friends were of the former, pro kit wearing, variety and so I went down the old school steel path alone and ended up finding friends with a similar  bent, like Tim Joe, online.  Since I live in Seattle and Tim Joe is in Florida that means we don't do actual rides together but I do hope that one day we'll meet up somewhere with our trusty Steel Steeds and take a meandering ride down some back road and end it at a pub over a cold one.

Thanks for the Ride TPC.

In Honor of TPC's Le Tour "Little Miss Dangerous"



4 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan, notice how the top tube on the LeTour has a little downward slope? I always thought I was doing something wrong with Little Miss when I looked at the top tube...that may be why I stuck with the 27" front wheel for so long after I put a mavic 700c on the rear.

    I only bring it up because just last night I was reading somewhere about how Surly worked that same feature into the Straggler. I gotta tell ya, buddy, the more I learn about bikes the more I find myself wondering why I need anything other than my trusty old steel Wonder Girl.

    Thanks so much for dedicating your time and a post to helping me out the door. That farewell post over at the TPC started out as a comment here but as I was writing it I suddenly knew what I had to do. So there ya go. You were helping me again and didn't even know it. Pretty good work, my Velo Brother!

    tj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the downslope of the top tube gives it that "looks fast just standing still" vibe. You are welcome my friend glad to help

      Delete
  2. Ryan, I too was saddened by TJ's post for my own selfish reasons. I am selfish hanger-on when it came to TPC. I am "joe-responsibility" when it comes to day-to-day life and I really liked reading TJ's musings on a different lifestyle that I could only fantasize about.
    He has a life to live without babysitting my needy reading requirements!! HA! I will certainly pedal my butt home today thinking about how much he brightened the day when he posted up and know there will be an occasional TPC sighting.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Jim, I too hope we have some occasional TPC sightings and get to enjoy his wit and wisdom...ok maybe not wisdom LOL -love ya Tim Joe

      Delete