Sunday, February 25, 2018

Salvaging a Hub

I have been going through allot of de-cluttering and one of my goals is to take a bunch of things to the scrap yard.  I have some old wheels that are rusty or bent or otherwise trashed that I was thinking to just load up and then I thought perhaps I can salvage the hubs first.


I did a search on how best to cut spokes and one suggestion was to use an old cable cutter which as I turns out I had!  When the PBK started to dull and not snip cables or housing cleanly I upgraded to a Park cable cutter but the PBK now has life as the slayer of old spokes.  It worked great.


The cable cutter made short work of the spokes,it probably took less that 2 minutes to cut them all.


I was not going to try and rehab this rim, the rust was even worse on the inside, and now its ready for the scrap yard.


After freeing the hub I found it was much easier to get rid of the spoke remnant if I had the "J bend" end of the spoke pointed down.  I got to the point where I could flick them right into the scrap metal tub.


And I am left with the hub, dirty greasy and oxidized but free of the wheel.


It sure is a lot easier to clean this way, and after a bit of work I see its a made in France Normandy hub.  I can rebuild it, sell it, practice my polishing technique, even use it to build a wheel which I have threatened to do in the past, I also have a nice rim I could use....hmmm.

Speaking of selling I have been selling a number of bike bits that have been sitting in boxes and drawers for years doing nothing and a few NIB pieces that aren't going to get used.  I have sold about $500 worth so far on a combination of CL, Ebay and bike forums.  It's been surprising to see what gets sold and what goes wanting.  I no longer try to predict it.

That was the worst wheel of the bunch  I have so I may be done with hub salvaging but it was good to see how easy it was to do with a proper tool.

Until next time, Ride.Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment