Sunday, February 4, 2018

This one is for you Phil


Later today I will be going to a Memorial held at my favorite coffee shop for a fellow regular, Phil Yates, who passed away in December after a long battle with cancer.   I met Phil about 12 years ago as our paths crossed regularly at C&P.  I found out he was an ex-Marine, had worked on the Alaska pipeline, was a excellent finish carpenter, that's how he made his living, and most importantly he was an avid cyclist.

Phil and his lovely partner Jennifer
Besides having excellent taste in coffee shops we bonded over cycling.  From Spring to Fall we had races to discuss and in his younger days he had been an amateur racer so I would get stories about training on a fixie in the winter, racing at the velodrome, and he knew just about anyone who was anybody in the Seattle cycling scene over that last 40 years.  He wrote a pamphlet on training back in the 70's and toured shops in the west giving talks about it.  He was a serious enough Roadie that his last frame was Titanium.


Phil was a lovable curmudgeon, he could discuss a wide range of topics and didn't put up with any BS, while still being kind to dogs and children.   In the face of cancer he was positive, fought hard and even managed to be stylish.  He used a walking stick in lieu of a cane and it looked like Gandalf's staff and to keep his head warm he wore a Basque beret that a Spanish ex-pat and C&P regular had shipped to him,

He was well loved at C&P so its fitting that is where his friends will gather today to say goodbye.  When the weather broke earlier today and the sun peaked out I took it as a sign I should go for a ride and honor Phil by doing something we both loved.   This ride is for you Phil.


5 comments:

  1. Ryan, a very nice tribute to Phil. I'm sorry you lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie, I am getting to an age where that is a possibility although Phil had a good 20 years on me.

    Unless your 110 its probably always going to feel like too soon but I think he would have told you he led a full rich life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. check double check. How are ya, VB? The older ya get, the more dead guys ya know. But they ain't dead. They live on, somehow. They live on.

    Miss ya, bro. I haven't sat a bike for months. It shows. Inside and out. Outbacks and McGreases on and on.

    I want a Salsa Marrakesh.

    tj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't sat a bike as much as I'd like but that is more weather than anything. You have too much work and I have way to little, perhaps we can strike a balance? Good to hear from you VB. The Marrakesh looks like a very cool rig

      Delete
  4. I forgot to say that the Memorial at C&P was PACKED! Literally wall to wall people. I hope my life impacts a quarter of those people.

    ReplyDelete