Sunday, November 11, 2018

Coffeeneuring Challenge 2018: Ride 7 Ampersand Cafe


Sunday dawned clear and cold and I knew it would be a good day to get to the finish line for Coffeeneruing 2018.  It was going to require some gear like full finger gloves, base layer and wool cycling cap to combat the 40 degree temps but I have all that stuff , I just had to dig it out.


Ampersand Cafe on Alki was my destination today, I have been here many times and it has even featured in a few blog posts but I had never done an official coffee ride here.



A hazelnut latte and snicker-doodle was my choice for ride #7 and I finally remembered both of my patches from previous years.   It was a pretty crowded shop as people were getting out to enjoy the sun but wanted to be someplace warm after feeling the wind.


I did not see many other casual riders today but I did see plenty of roadies in winter kit out taking advantage of the sunny weather.


After slogging into the wind for a mile or so I couldn't resist stopping for a quick shot of the Seattle skyline.  Once I got around the point I had a tail wind and actually felt "fast".


The wide range 1x9 of the Handsome devil is versatile but the riders' fitness and the low gear of the HD meant the last hill was going to be a grind, I didn't feel like ending on a grind so I went mult-modal and caught the bus home for the last leg.  Three years running now for Coffeeneuring and I completed both my themes of 1) all new coffee shops and 2) a different bike every ride.  I actually hope I don't have six bikes in my apartment next year lol.

The data:
  1. Where: Ampersand Cafe, 2530 Alki Avenue Southwest. West Seattle.
  2. Date: November 11th   at 11:30 am.
  3. Consumed:  Hazelnut Latte and Snicker Doodle cookie.
  4. Details:  Clear and cold -low 40s, good bike parking.
  5. Mileage: 6.41 miles
  6. Bike Used: The workhorse Handsome Devil.

Ride. Dress warn.Smile.Repeat.

2 comments: