Saturday, February 23, 2019

Novara Randonee -Mid to late 80s



I knew it was a mistake to look at FB market place after avoiding temptation for nearly three months (bad dog!). I should give some context about the Novara Randonee touring bike, I have had in the back of my mind for some time that I might want to work on one "some day" for a few reasons:

  • Novara was the store brand of REI which is headquartered in Seattle so it has a local tie-in even through the bike was probably built in Taiwan.
  • A friend had a Randonee that I would see regularly and I always thought it was kind of a cool bike.
  • Its a lugged steel touring bike which I have a soft spot for.
  • This particular bike has center mounted down tube shifters which I have wanted to work on for about 6 years but have yet to do so. 
  • I had come close on a couple Novara lugged steel bikes in the past but they had always fallen through.
  • I signed up for this years Tour de Lopez and it occurred to me that if I stowed a bike at work then I could maximize the daylight hours as I try to get miles in during March and April.


So to sum up -many reasons to give into the bike acquisition disease I constantly fight.  It wasn't my greatest deal but it was OK, they had initially listed it at $125 and then dropped to $85, I offered $60 and we settled at $70.  I feel good about that because in addition to the full bike I also got:


a rear rack


A frame pump and fenders not having to buy those extras will save a few bob and add to the value of the bike.


It appears to have a full SunTour drive train, and triple crank which I like, with half step gearing, which I don't but I will live with.


The plan at this point is do a tear down, address a few issues I have seen; non-standard seat bolt binder and missing fender hardware, and find whatever I haven't seen, update the consumables on a budget and stash the bike at work for sunny afternoon rides.  I did remember to check for stuck seat post and stems so that won't be an issue.


Come summer I will probably sell it on to a good home, of course you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men.    I can't take credit for any of the photos as they all came off the FB marketplace ad.  I will do a more thorough review when I tear the bike down and use the components to narrow down a year.

As always

Ride. Smile. Repeat.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I got a vintage novara bike, could you help me to know more about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabook, I am no expert but I can tell you Novara was the house brand of REI, recreational equipment Inc. They changed the name in 2017 or so. I think I found info on Bikepedia and searching around the internet. Good luck with your project.

      Delete