Friday, April 12, 2019

Novara Randonee: Seat Post Saga


The plan was to have the Novara at work by now but the seat post slippage as derailed that plan.  After the ride where the post slipped I found my other 26.6 post and decided to give it a try and it also slipped right down in the tube.


I decided to go to bike works and see if I could find a 26.8 post to see how that would fit and in a bit of dumb luck the very first post I picked out of the bin was exactly what I wanted.  I usually have to dig around a while.



Not only was it the size I wanted but it was a cool Shimano 600 fluted post, it had some reflective tape on the back of the fluted area but for $5 I can't complain.


A test fit showed it would enter the seat tube but that was about it.  I thought maybe I need a 26.7 post, but of course they don't sell those but maybe I could make one.  Hmmm.


I got some 100 grit sand paper and started sanding on the fat part of the seat post.  I would sand for a bit, finish with the brass wool to smooth things out and then try a fitting and then repeat and repeat.




In conjunction with sanding the seat post I thought I would try the brake hone I bought, probably two years ago, after seeing a video of RJ the bike guy on YouTube using one to smooth out the inside of a seat tube.


And yes indeed it does make for a smooth interior to the seat tube, if you ever pull out a post that has a zigzag pattern of scratches that may be a sign of a burr inside of the seat tube and the brake hone treatment could solve that issue.




With the introduction of some 50 grit sand paper and a number of mini sanding sessions over a couple days  I finally got the post to fit, and then got the saddle mounted.  I had planned on a test ride for today but then I had a thought while I was at work.

 



I wondered if maybe the problem wasn't post but the seat tube binder bolt, what if it was bottoming out?  When I got home from work I checked my theory and sure enough the two sides of the binder bolt have met, there are no more threads so I couldn't go tighter even if I wanted to.  When I ordered the bolt I got the middle size of 3 - a 22 mm width, so I decided to order the 19 mm.  Sure, I could ride it as is but I suspect that the reason the 26.6 post slipped in the first place is that binder bolt could not get tight enough and if so I will have the same issue with the modified post.   So we'll wait a few days, swap in a new binder bolt and give it a try.


When I got home I noticed that I had a package, hmm whatever could it be??


Well hello Mr. Canti-Fork, I think I may have a spot for you.


Sand, Sand some more. Then realize it may all have been for naught. Sigh.

Tomorrow I will ride and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment