Monday, April 22, 2019

Refreshing the Bianchi Ibex before selling it on



I obtained the 1990 Bianchi Ibex for last years Clunker Challenge and also because I had never worked on a Bianchi and I was hoping to find a replacement for the 1986 Miyata Trail Runner I'd had to sell while unemployed.  I liked the Ibex but it never fit quite right and I decided that I wasn't in love and so in a effort to thin the herd I am going to sell it on.  I am nearly tripping on bikes around here these days lol.


I am not going full spa treatment on this bike in fact I am mostly doing a clean and sell job, but, there are some things that are going to get changed.  The bike came to me with mismatched wheels and tires, they were perfectly functional but it bugged me.  Now the front and rear match,  Araya 26x1.50 rims of the same approximate vintage.


I think new, matching tires really freshen the look of a bike, so I spent $40 on a pair of Vittoria Evolution 26x1.95 tires from Amazon.


I think it looks allot better with the matching rims and matching beefier tires. 


When I got the bike it had the rear fender mounted and I was given a front one to take with the bike, I took off the rear fender for the challenge and it has been on my porch ever since.  It got wiped down, cleaned up and re-mounted with the new tires and I was glad to see they worked together.


The front fender doesn't match the rear for color but at least its the Bianchi Celeste green so it plays off the saddle and bottle cage.  The Araya  front rim is wider than the wheel it replaced so I had to do some brake adjusting but a Park Tool video proved helpful for that and it all works as expected.


I am mostly done, I want to flush the rear shifter with WD-40 and make some adjustments to the index shifting - I found a great Park tool video for that too, and clean and lube the chain.  When I am back from the Tour De Lopez ride I will list it on CL for what I hope is a quick sale.  Someday I will find a lugged steel mountain bike that I will love and that fits and that I have room for.

Ride. Reduce the fleet. Smile. Repeat.

2 comments: