Saturday, May 30, 2020

1987 Trek 520: Progress and road blocks


 In order to push through and finish the 520 in May I set up the bike stand in the living room.   Usually its in the dining room (lol) but that is my office currently so living room it is.


I removed the wheels to make it easier to get around and work on.


Earlier in the week I got the crank cleaned and mounted and put the pedals on too.


Today I got the chain cleaned and back on, since both the chain and freewheel show little wear I reused rather than replacing them, and the chain had a quick-link so that made it easy.


In going through my box of parts I round the crank bolt caps so they went back on too.



Today I also planned to run the derailleur cables, however, I only had one that was used so I strung the FD and ordered more cables to finish the job.   I have cables for the next project but don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul so to speak,


In the meantime I have the brake cables to string and I need to lube the chain, which needs to happen outside and right now its pouring.   And sometime later I will have the shift cables to finish the job,  As bugs would say, you're getting warmer Doc.



On a different note I exercised some self restraint this week, my daughter knows I am a bike nerd and she sent me a picture of this free bike a mere two blocks from my Apartment.   I  took a walk to check it out, it appears to be an 80s era (glued joint) aluminum frame road bike.   I could not find a makers mark so I have no idea what the brand is.  I did see the RD is Shimano 105 and I was tempted... BUT

  • I have limited space and no access to a deck
  • I have plenty of projects and 6 bikes are currently in my apartment
  • This bike is in rough shape, rust on the frames apparently chrome exterior, mis-matched wheels etc.
I decided that with one bike (520) close to being done and two more in the queue I don't need more and I might be helping my nephew with yet another bike project as well.   Last year I would have probably jumped on this project.


Ride. Smile. Stock up on parts. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment