Tuesday, May 26, 2020

1987 Trek 520: Rear Wheel



I decided to get going on the rear wheel for the Trek 520 in the hopes that I could finish it much quicker than the front wheel.



The new management of my apartment building started the year with working on the balconies and replacing the decking and railings, recently they got around to me and removed an area where I used to do a lot of bike work.  I am doing my work entirely indoors now.



I like to start by just removing one half of the parts from the axle, it's less work and means I know one side is already set when I put things back together.




The old bearings and hub were definitely dirty so I am glad I took the time to take the hub apart.


I was happy this hub had the metal dust caps that I could easily remove with a large screw driver.




Being able to remove the dust cap makes cleaning out the hub cups much easier.




New bearings, fresh grease (9 1/4 bearings per side) and a cleaned up axle with clean cones.    


With the cleaned up freewheel back on the hard part is done.


Of course I couldn't put a dirty tire back on the cleaned up wheel, I did a dirt and gravel trail ride (after a light rain) last fall and so the tires were dirty from that.


No longer having a deck to work on I used the tub to clean up the tire.


The wheel was slightly out of true so I spent some time adjusting spokes.


And bingo we are done, having a 3 day weekend helped.  I am hoping I can push through the rest of the work; shift and brake cables, clean and mounting the crank, chain,  and wrapping the bars.  I have another project I would like to start while it's still May.  We'll see if that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment