Thursday, September 10, 2020

Know when to fold'em...


I think that as important as it is to be persistent and think outside the box it is equally important to know when to walk away.  



I took the front wheel for the Giant to my LBS for a spoke replacement after I discovered a broken spoke while trying to true the wheel, what they found was that the rim was cracked.  That in itself wasn't a deal breaker but with the mounting issues for this bike I resolved that unless I could first solve the shifting I would not spend any more $$ on this bike including no replacement front wheel without the shifting working first.


 Well I did the WD-40 treatment to the shifters and I did get them to sorta kinda shift up to 5 of 8 gears but it wasn't great so I decided for this bike it was on to plan B - a part out.


Without too much fuss I got the bike mostly apart and doing some back of the napkin calculations I think I can just about break-even as Campy parts tend to be desirable.  I have already sold the rear wheel with 8 speed campy cassette.  The thing about Campy brifters is that unlike Shimano they can be rebuilt, you just need a watchmakers skill and patience, that is not me lol.  The LBS said it was about a $70 job and they could get most of the parts still for 8 speed.  I will let someone else do that.


A little more work got the cranks off, fortunately campy uses the same crank puller as I have in the tool box.


And for the BB I got to pull out a rarely used campy square taper tool I used to build up a frame with Campy 10 speed back in about 2010, that bike went to my friend Karen who still rides it.



So now I have some cleaning to do on the frame-set and parts so I can list and hopefully sell them and put this chapter behind me.


In other news the AQI was finally decent enough this morning that I could take the morning ride I have been delaying all week.  It was nice to get out on the Cresta GT something I hope to do more of if the wildfires get under control so the air quality can improve.

Ride. Know when to walk away. Smile. Repeat



No comments:

Post a Comment