|before - bottom|
Even-though I had to wait for the leather to dry that didn't stop me working on the metal bits.
I am fortunate the Dremel comes with so many brushes, I can clean the rivets without hitting the leather. I was also able to get most of the rust off the saddle frame but in the spots where the finish has worn away I like to put a little 3n1 oil on the steel so it has some protection against further rust, I dribble a little oil, rub it in, let it set for a few minutes and then wipe off the excess.
|A little 3n1 oil on the rusty spots|
The new front wheel was quick to arrive so I did my normal protocol with the Amazon wheels:
- Loosen up a cone so I can squirt more grease in both sides of the hub, I don't think they use enough at the factory and bearings are not a place to be skimpy on the grease!
- Adjust the bearings to that "just right spot" I find the factory ones tend to come too tight.
- Check the wheel for true, I have yet to have a problem myself, but have seen this as an issue in the comments section for others.
|In the truing stand|
|One wheel down|
I got to the brakes today, reassembling the rear that I cleaned up so long ago (Part III), and cleaning up the front.
|rear brake back together|
|Front brake installed|
Some new Dia-Compe gray matters to replace the worn out original Weinmanns.
And some nice shiny new straddle wires to replace the rusty old arthritic ones. I had scheduled cleaning and mounting the cranks for tomorrow but decided to push on and give my schedule some cushion.
|very dirty crank|
The crank is big enough that not all of it would fit in the sonic cleaner so it got a bath in sections.
|Mid stream cleaning|
|before steel wool|
|After steel wool - better not perfect|
The good news is things are straight and no teeth are missing or worn down. Since the cranks were clean I was able to mount them and add another "City bike" piece to the bike....
Yep some nice wide city pedals with rubber grips, just jump on and go, these are Sunlite Crusier pedals. In addition to getting more done than anticipated I got the further good news that the new rear wheel which I wasn't expecting until Thursday has shipped and is expected to arrive Wednesday.
Stay tuned as I race toward the finish. Until next time...