Saturday, May 5, 2018

A new project 1987 Schwinn LeTour


Having finished all my projects bikes and down to just my own quiver I was itching for a project.  I decided that for the time being I am taking a break from turkey levers, cottered cranks and stem shifters.  I was looking for deals on CL, always a bad idea, and I came across a Schwinn LeTour.


It wasn't the Tenax tubing that I enjoyed on the 1986 Passage, but 4130 chromoly steel is solid, it's what the Handsome Devil is made out of.


Bold Schwinn late 80's graphics, solid Shimano drive train spec, Sugino crank, Weinmann alloy wheels.



The sharp eyed may notice the lack of a rear brake, I could have probably used that fact to haggle a bit but at $50 I felt like I was already getting a decent deal.  I  should be able to get a replacement Dia-Compe 500 side pull from Bike works.

It's probably a good thing that this is a 21 inch frame and therefore 2 sizes too small, if it were a bit bigger I might do something silly like try to turn it into a fendered commuter.  The Sugino crank is set up stock as a double but can also be adapted to be a triple..



..so it would be a great candidate to turn into a 46/30 double or a triple with a nice low granny ring.  I am leaning, however, towards doing a tear down and rebuild as is, just replacing the consumables.  The tires appear to be in decent shape so I will probably use them.   All that said the Schwinn is not distracting me from my primary goals of rebuilding the Cresta GT, and Moto_GT.   I have been working on the paint and cleaning up the headset for the Moto_GT so I should have a post on that soon.


Ride.Smile.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment