Saturday, May 26, 2018

In which I trade a Motobecane Mirage for a Trek 420


About a month ago I sold the 1973 Motobecane Mirage to a nice college student.  Not long after that for some reason I thought to look on CL for Treks.  Now Trek is the largest maker of bikes on the planet but I have never worked on one or ridden one.  Usually when I have looked at older steel, made in the USA, Treks they are pretty much $200 and up.  That is higher than I like to start for a bike I am going to refurb, hence no Treks have darkened my door.


I am looking on CL and this pops up, its a Trek listed for the same $$ I just sold the Mirage for, hmmm.  Its not too far from where I work so I email the seller and arrange to come see it.


Before that, however, I went to the excellent website Vintage Trek and via their brochures I came up with this being a 1985 model Trek 420, which was in the Sport Tourer line up, not quite a full fledged tourer like its big brothers the 620 & 720.  Interestingly the 520 which I think of as an Iconic Tourer was also a sport model in 1985.  I also discovered that it is most likely a 22.5 inch frame, a 1/2 inch smaller than the 23 inch I usually look for in a Vintage road bike.  I was intrigued to see how 22.5 would fit.


Its made with True Temper Chromoly, not super special but solid.

classic head badge

I made two rookie mistakes when going to view this bike; 1) I forgot to pack tools in the morning so I could make sure the seatpost and stem weren't stuck (they weren't luckily) and 2) well I'll get to that.


I approached the bike wanting to look at the details and confirm that it was an 85, and to see how original it was.


Made in the USA, check, this makes it a bit more collectible if you're into that kind of thing.


Original SR triple crank, still has both bolt caps which is nice,  the SunTour XD doesn't appear to be stock as the catalog says Shimano Z series is what it came with.


Shimano DT shifters -check, they appear stock and I kind of like the look.


Seat stay detail and interesting seat post binder.


Stock Blackburn rack -check, which is nice as the Cresta GT did not come with one, even though it would have one originally, so it might get moved over to the touring bike, we'll see.


Lower head tube detail.


Upper head tube detail, interesting that the catalog says the headset is Trek standard black, this one is obviously not black..hmmm.


One extra was the funky brake lever mounted mirror, I don't usually use one but it might fun to play with.

The Dia-compe side-pulls are stock and perfectly fine, they are also an indicator this isn't a real touring bike because by 1985 that would mean canti-lever brakes like the 620 and 720 models.


And here is where my second mistake comes in, the wheels.  I know I looked at them because I recall thinking the tires were old and dried out and would need replacing, but I didn't see them.  I am fairly sure the front wheel is the stock Weinmann 116, 27".


Not until I got home and I'm taking the bike out the car does it hit me, the back wheel has a black rim, and wait a minute the tire says 700c! and..


man that freewheel is kinda small....that's no freewheel, its a 7 speed cassette! how did I miss all that?  I would have haggled with the seller.  As it turns out I still have a set of 27 inch wheels to spare and they are matched with nice hubs.  This bike would not have come with a 40 spoke touring rear wheel anyway, which makes my oversight slightly more palatable.


So I finally have a Trek, the man who sold me the bike told it was his sons college bike, and it looks it.  The frame-set is going to need a deep clean and some serious attention with rubbing compound and wax,  With two and maybe three bikes ahead of it, the Spa treatment won't come anytime soon, so it may be in the queue for a while.....

And then I had a different idea.  On a recent doctor visit, can I say how grateful I am to have health care coverage again,  we were talking about weight and exercise and he mentioned, not knowing I am a bike nut, that I could get a trainer for my bike and ride while watching TV to get my heart rate up.  A project that involves bikes?   I'm in!  I found a Cyclops trainer for $40 on CL earlier this week and I had just the bike in mind for it, but it would need a bit of work first.


First the hideous and tattered old foam bar covers would need to go.  Shiver.


Foam be gone, that was satisfying, I hate those things.


There was some muck on the bars near the stem, probably tape residue,  I find that getting it wet with something like Armor-all wipes and then using a plastic utensil can clean it right up.


 All clean, I thought that since I was going to be spinning on this bike that some SPD pedals might be in order.


So I took off the flat pedals that came on the Trek..


And I moved the Shimano MD324s from the Handsome Devil to the Trek and the HD got the Treks flat pedals,  I have been thinking of doing flat pedals on the HD for a while to replace the dual sided MD324s.


I can blow the dust off my Keen Commuters for some spin class.


Got the bars wrapped with some Origin 8 black bar tape to replace the awful foam.  I subbed in a Weinmann brake lever as I didn't want to mess with the mirror.


Earlier in the week I ordered a phone mount so I can use the count down timer on my phone while on the bike, the plan is to start with 20 minute rides with some ramp up intervals at 5, 10 and 15 minutes to get the heart rate up.  This will help make doing some road rides a reality this summer.  The phone mount should also be easy to transfer to other bikes so I can use the phones cycle app feature (Cyclemeter) on road rides.



Work done for the day; bar wrap, pedals and phone mount finished.  I have a "spin bike" ready to go and I am planning to test run it tomorrow.

Spin, smile, repeat.

2 comments:

  1. Cool Ryan. Spin class! As for the foam covered bars, of course they are dated, but man they were a necessity when I toured across country on my Miyata. I was happy to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie if I had the foam from Day 1 it would probably be ok but I always inherit other peoples 30 yearold foam and for some reason I find that gross. I sure would have appreciated fresh foam on a cross country trip.

      Delete