Thursday, May 30, 2019

Cresta GT Update part II



After letting the fork sit outside in our temperate weather for a few days I removed the tape from the canti studs and crown race area and mounted the VO headset crown race with my crown race setter.




Got the fork reconnected with the frame without much fuss.


I even got the wireless sensor back on the fork so the bike computer can keep track of my mileage and my very slow MPH.  And the original to the bike canti brakes got installed.




After doing some fiddling with the brakes I took it out for a neighborhood ride, the beer Junction may have been involved, and the fork didn't fall  off so I think I am good.  The rear brakes going to need more adjustment but that's minor.  I used the handkerchief I stowed in my new Carradice bag to project the top tube from the parking sign I had to hitch to when I stopped for beer.


I have a few more things to take care of like re-wrapping the  bars, I may go with Yellow this time rather than reusing the red Deda tape that I saved.  I also saw a deal on Metal fenders, Mud Butlers from Handsome Cycles for about $50 shipped.  The VO ones I had been eyeing are closer to $70 and don't include shipping.  I got a 45 mm size which should handle the Sand Canyons, if not I do have a few other bikes I could try them on.



The parts for the Ibex have come so the plan for the weekend is to get the FW off, clean and repack the hub, then install the new FW and chain.  Since the new FW has the same cog sizes and spacing as the old one I hope that I won't need to mess with the indexed shifting ...we'll see, Hope to end the weekend with it back on CL.

Ride a white legged steed, Smile. Repeat,

3 comments:

  1. And like that, all is back to being right in the world again.
    Nice work, Ryan! I'm thrilled to see you back in the saddle.

    PS: Subscribe to the VO newsletter and get the heads up when coupons/holiday discounts come out. Patience by waiting until the 4th of July might pay dividends and get you the fenders you really want for cheaper than the Mud Butlers. Plus, the rain seems to be on the downward decline for a few months so you have some time before you actually need fenders.

    Just some thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Josh, I am a VO subscriber what I find is that unless I have a big order the discount is basically like paying retail and getting shipping for free. I also have a soft spot for Handsome as their Handsome Devil frame is the first steel frame I ever built up for myself and its still my workhorse bike after a decade. In C&V style with Brooks saddle, silver components and a bar end shifter.

      Delete
    2. That all makes good sense to me.

      Keep up the great work!

      Delete