Saturday, May 4, 2019

State of the fleet address

So many Bikes so little time, its my own fault really I need to stop acquiring them!!


Bianchi Ibex


I thought I was so close to being ready to post this to CL, that was my first mistake.  I noticed when I was shifting it in the work stand that it was ghost pedaling i.e. when I stopped turning the crank it kept on going.   I did a bit of research and what I read pointed to a gummed up FW. no worries I will just pull it and clean it up.


Well it turns out the FW is a Sun Tour four pronged unit and my two prong puller won't really work and in fact I scrapped it up trying.  So two FW pullers on order and hopefully I can get the existing FW cleaned up if not I can get a new 7 speed SunRace 7 speed 13-28 FW for about  $15 and then maybe I can get this bike up on CL.

1987 Schwinn Le Tour


Another bike I feel close on but is probably farther away than I think.  I know it needs; brake cables and housing, brake pads, rebuilt wheel hubs and a cleaned up the FW.  I have all I need but it remains  to be seen if anything unexpected will crop up.  Getting these two done would free up some space, not to mention put some $$ in my bank account.

1984 Novara Randonee



For the Randonee I am going to do what I intended all along and get it to work to be my ride after work bike.  It needs to have the bars wrapped, I am going with natural cork, and a few tweaks and if all goes well it will travel in with me on Monday.  Moving it to work will also free up space in the apartment.   And it will be nice to be able to do some new rides.

1987 Trek 520 Cirrus


I want to take advantage of this nice stretch of weather we are having and rack up some Kilometers so I can finish the clunker challenge.  I really would like to see what this bike feels like with a decent saddle, wider bars and decent pedals.  To that end I have; stem, bars and pedals on order and I think I can swap the Handsome devils seat post and saddle into the Trek, as I did for the Specialized Allez, in the short term.


I am liking the feel of the stock Shimano brake levers so I won't switch to Tektros just yet.  I want to ride with an upgraded cockpit/pedals for a bit before I do the full tear down.


A full post on the Lazarus project is forthcoming....

Ride.Smile.Thin the herd. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment