Saturday, June 29, 2019

Allez refurb: Tear Down


In a continuing to reduce the large inventory of bikes I am trying to make hay while the sun shines and I made a start on refurbing the Specialized Allez Sport with a tear down.  In addition to selling the Ibex, I just sold the Schwinn LeTour and the Novara is on CL so its starting to get a bit more roomy around here.


For fun I decided to start with only 3 tools just to see how far I could get.


According to Alexa it only took me 7 minutes to run out of things to do with my Y wrench, I could loosen the derailleurs but without a chain tool I couldn't remove them.


It didn't take too long to get down to a box of parts ......


....and a frame.  The tear down is always the fastest part now comes the real work.


One thing I wasn't sure about was the bottom bracket.  This one is sealed and so not really rebuild-able without a vice and a really big socket.  If I was keeping the bike I would probably keep the stock bb as it still turns nice and smooth, however since I am going to sell it I have ordered a new Shimano UN55 in the correct size.  The stock one will go into the parts bin.

Ride. Rebfurb. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment