Friday, June 21, 2019

Randonee: shifting gears


The ebay Suntour Downtube shifters arrived Thursday as anticipated.  I toyed with the idea of ordering replacement hoods for the ends but the Rustines version Velo Orange sells would cost me more than the shifters did so they will go bare for now.


I got them mounted on the bike with no issues other than I started out with them upside down lol,  I was lucky the Symmetrics had been mounted on a clamp band because there was a stop on the backside of the downtube that also works for the banded DT shifters, some bikes mounted Symmetrics via a braze on bolt hole in the center of the downtube which would have been more problematic.



One nice feature of my Park PCS-9 work stand is that you can loosen the knob on the back of the clamp arm and that allows you to..


Rotate the bike to the desired angle.


That allowed the RD to be at close to chest height when I ran the RD cable which is a bit funky on the Suntour Cyclone as it runs through the center of the derailleur body, rather than underneath.  With the bike rotated I didn't have to crouch to try and run the cable.


I got the shifting to work fine in the stand, now I just need to shake this stupid cold so I can take it for a road ride and then return it to work.

Ride. Power Shifters Rock, smile. repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment