Thursday, December 19, 2019

1992 Trek 850 Antelope

As found

I spent allot of time over the summer reducing the herd and wasn't really looking to add any but when I came across this Trek MTB for $20 I couldn't pass it up.


Its a 1992 model in Sour Grape (Purple), its too wet for me to do anything outside with it but other than a flat tire it appears to be in good shape and it's mostly stock according to the Vintage Trek site.





The drive train is Shimano Exage 400 LX -7 speed indexed shifting.




The paint and decals seem to be in nice shape for a 27 year old bike.


I also like the fact that the bike has plenty of braze-ons for fenders and racks so it could be built up as as a solid commuter bike.


As with the Miyata purchase, and the Novara,  one of the major appeals was the price, at $20 -I would have to really try to not at least break even and I think, barring any undiscovered issues, that with some TLC and a repaired front tube I should be able to double my money if I sell this bike.  This could also be a great clunker challenge candidate with lots of room for updates within the $100 budget.

I was also interested in riding a 20 inch frame to see how it feels against the 22 inch bikes I have tried in the past.  Hopefully this weekend I can give it a wipe down, fix the tire, give a once over in the stand, maybe adjust the HUGE gap in the front derailleur, and then see how the Antelope runs.




Ride. Smile. Look for Deals.  Repeat.

6 comments:

  1. Of course you knew I would comment about this one! And in purple no less. Nice find. That's my size but alas we live at opposite ends of our country... I'll be interested in what you find out as you clean up the bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did suspect you might be interested Annie ;-). Its the second one in this general range I came across the first went quick. I am interested to see what a 20 inch frame rides like for me, should be fun to tinker with.

      Delete
  2. Nice find on the vintage Trek! It reminds me of my own bike, an MTB from GT of a slightly older vintage, that I've built into my daily driver. The Trek seems to have similar tubing, forks, componentry, braze-ons, etc as mine, except of course for the GT triple-triangle. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was actually pending a sale when I inquired but the first person ghosted the owner so it fell to me. Looking forward to tinkering with it.

      Delete
  3. I had one of those 850 Antelope's except an earlier year. late 80's or so. I rode it hard and then cleaned it all up to go to college with my #3 son. It came back pretty rough and instead of getting it back I just gave it to one of my yard guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim, I haven't opened it up yet but it seems like it had a decent life, no visible rust and paint and decals are decent shape for 27 years on. Wonder if the stock front wheel got nicked. I do think these old steel rigid fork MTBs can take alot of abuse sounds like yours lived/lives a full and useful life.

      Delete