Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Prepping the 1987 Miyata 112


On Sunday I did some safety checks and then did a shakedown ride to the farmers market.  I discovered my rear wheel wasn't as secure as it should have been and the pedals needed to go, more on that later. Otherwise it seemed fine on the short ride.


Of course being at the market I had to stop for a beer, in this case Listen to the night (nitro) by best of Hands brewhouse. coffee stout.



Once I got back from the market I started cleaning up the bike with an eye toward it being destined to spend some time outside in the wet winter, under a covered porch but not fully protected.  I started with the rusty QR.

goo before

Goo Gone

I also noticed some marks on the seat tube like a second bottle cage and been added and left a sticky residue.  Some goo gone took care of that,




I had checked for stuck seat post and stem when I inspected the bike but decided to remove the post to check further and was glad I did.  I also added grease to the stem when I adjusted it.


On my test ride the rear wheel slipped and I noticed when tightening the rear QR that the drop out had a spacer but only on one side so I removed it to make centering the wheel easier.


I read on bike forums of someone using pledge to wax a frame and I figured it was a quick and dirty means to giving the frame a bit more protection for its stay outside on the trainer.




On my test ride the drive side pedal make such a noisy clacking sound I thought maybe the plastic pedal was broken and I hadn't noticed but when I got to the market and checked I could see no crack.  I had planned to use my dual sided pedal for the trainer bike anyway but the pedals were very reluctant to come off the bike.  I ended up spraying liquid wrench on both sides of the spindle and using my big lever bar - Archimedes- to finally get them off, I had to jury rig something to hold the pedal arm while I levered against it.  Pedal straps for the win!


When I got the old pedals off I could see why the drive side sounded like the bearings had been replaced by glass shards...



It was satisfying to remove the crusty 30 year old foam grips.  Thank you box cutter,



I have some glacier blue cork tape picked out for the rebuild but in the interim I though I would use some cloth tape that has been in my parts bin for at least 5 years.  Not my best ever wrap job but it will suffice for winter trainer duty.


I sprayed the chain with some tri flow and wiped off the excess.



The ride to nowhere is a thirsty one so I picked up a silver water bottle cage to play off the head tube color.


Now all I have to do is ride the thing, not sure about the saddle but I have others I can use if the Bell comfort saddle doesn't work out.

Ride. Spin in place. Smile.Repeat.

2 comments:

  1. And.......poof!! for $50 bucks you have an wintertime exercise machine set-up! sweat it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim I didn't think it was appropriate to reply until I had actually ridden on the trainer, now I have finally done so, nothing epic just 20 minutes with some speed ramps at 5 min intervals but its a start

      Delete