Saturday, March 21, 2020

1987 Trek 520: Hanging parts I (Brakes)



As I'm staying home allot during this weird time and wait to hear what happens with a contract job I am supposed to start (remotely) I, like many folks I suspect, have time on my hands so I am working to finish up the Trek 520.


I cleaned the brakes in my sonic cleaner, I lubed them and the mounted them.  For now the rear brakes are keeping the same pads since the rears provide less stopping power than the fronts.


The fronts also got cleaned and lubed and they got new pads since this is where most of the braking happens.


I put the shifters in the sonic cleaner as well, still zip tied to keep everything in place.  As a result of the issues I had with sysmetric shifters on the Novara I decided not to disassemble the index shifters rather I flushed them with Tri Flow and after they dry I am going to mount them intact.

Today the derailleurs went into the sonic cleaner so next time I will post about the drive train.  The cockpit was easy because I had already updated it before I took the bike apart so I just remounted the bars stem and brake levers and the seat post and saddle.

Ride. Smile. Wash your hands. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment